Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Party Like A Rock Star



The boys got out of school for the summer on May 22 and just went back to school last Wednesday, YIKES! Talk about a long summer! Actually, we had a ton of family in town, and lots of things to do, so the time flew by. Logan is now in sixth grade and Kaiden is in fourth. It seems like just yesterday I was taking them to kindergarten for the first time.

We have been in Alaska since last December 31, and since then, I have had the luxury of being a stay-at-home-mom. Prior to moving here, I had always had a job of some type (usually part-time) since Logan turned 1. When we first arrived here, it was winter and it was snowy and cold and I had a million things to do to get us settled into life and a routine in Alaska. By the time we were settled in, summer was upon us, and I wasn't going to even begin to look for a job. Now, the boys are back in school and I've contemplated finding a part-time job, but there are some really great gals in the neighborhood who are a bad influence on me, so I don't know if I'll ever go back to work as long as their around.

You see, in Alaska, stay-at-home moms don't sit around and eat bon-bons on the first day of school. No, we meet at the bagel shop for breakfast (at 9:30), if you're me, you then go to the gym (10:00-11:15), and then we meet at someone's house to play Rock Band for the remainder of the afternoon (11:15 - 2:00). At 2:00 the guilt finally set in and I decided I had better get home to at least clean up the dishes from breakfast before the kids arrived home on the bus (approx. 3:45). I felt like I had played hooky all day with 7 of my friends. It was so much fun!

Let me tell you, if you are a stay-at-home-mom or just someone who has a video game system and a little extra time on your hands, I highly recommend Rock Band. I cannot carry a tune, I do not enjoy karaoke, nor do I pretend to be able to play the drums or guitar. For three hours last Wednesday, I did all of the above and I now belong to an all girl band called "The Hose" (it is spelled that way to throw off the little ones). Believe it or not, we had a blast and there wasn't even any alcohol involved.

I have to say, this was probably my most memorable first day of school. Now you all know why I stay home. With the promise of another day playing Rock Band while the kids are in school and Eric is at work, I can't even pretend I'm interested in a part-time job. Band practice anyone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! The boys are so big and beautiful! I miss those sweeties so much! I miss you too! Kiss Eric for me!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back !!!
Sounds like you may be a rock star one of thease days Steph.
You and Danicka would really have a good time together-she loves karoke and sings whenever she gets the opportunity. In Colorado she would do it with some of her friends.. So have a good time while you can.
The boys look so good..Alaska seems to agree with you folks..
Our love to all

Anonymous said...

I was feeling so bad about being out of touch, and you've been showing poop pictures? Just kidding, I think it's a great shot of an unbelievable vantage point. I am forbidden from rock band because I suck that bad. Who knew performing so poorly could be that much fun! Anyhow, glad to hear you are still "getting by." I must email you more in detail.
(if you're not getting much response, your link is missing an "a").

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. How come all of the mom's I know work?

Laurie D.