Friday, December 12, 2008

It Never Rains in Southern California...

That is, until I'm finally getting ready to leave Alaska after a year in what sometimes feels like isolation. The forecast in sunny CA is calling for rain almost the entire first week we are there. I truly don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I've already been receiving text messages and emails from friends who are sure we're bringing the rain with us. The difference is, they are happy to have rain in CA, where it has been hot (and often smokey) for many months. Little do they know, if we were really bringing the weather with us, the forecast would call for isolated snow storms, highs in the teens and lows below 0. HA!

The saddest part of all of this is that I think Eric is truly convinced that the weather is going to be crappy just because we are going to be there. This is a huge problem for me because if he really, truly believes that is in fact true, he will never agree to let me leave the state of Alaska again. It's one thing for him to leave Alaska (bless his heart) because it's on business and the company pays for it, but if I leave, we have to pay for it ourselves, and it costs a fortune to get anywhere from here.

My only hope is that the weather forecasters in California are as accurate as they are here. I think they might get the forecast right 3 out of 7 days here. Keep yours fingers crossed for us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said that you grew up in Calif right? I did too and you know that it never really is that bad there regarding the weather. And face it, anything will be beautiful compared to snow and freezing weather. It was 35 here with no wind the other day and it felt balmy to us. When you are used to the cold even 50 degrees seems pleasant. So have fun, don't worry about the rain and enjoy not having to shovel.

Laurie D.

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, Where are you? You can't come all this way and not stop by Shull! We're all wondering if/how/ we'll get to see you. I'm off tomorrow but I'll be here in the morning cooking pancakes...aaagh, fifth grade!

cbb