Tuesday, September 16, 2008

An Ode to Fall

I love the Fall season and all that comes with it...school starting, Logan's birthday, our wedding anniversary, Halloween, my birthday and Thanksgiving (which happen to be one and the same this year). I love the cool air, the colors, decorations and even the comfort foods associated with Fall. Did you notice, the "s" word is missing from my love of all things fall? That wasn't an ovesight on my part. I enjoy the snow, but snow is what winter is all about, not Fall!

I mentioned to someone here that I was looking forward to Fall. That statement was met with laughter. I was promptly told that in Alaska, we go straight from summer (HA HA, that's a joke) to winter. Here I am racking my brain, trying to remember the last time I saw the sun and now I'm being told there is no Fall!!!! Well my friends, my dear acquaintance was not kidding.

Now granted, we do not have snow at the lower elevations yet, but as of this morning, the local mountain tops have had their first dusting of snow. Frankly, after our summer, I'm almost ready for a little snow. I mean really, if we're going to have miserable weather it might as well be more than just overcast and dreary. The problem is, I don't think there is such thing as a little snow here.

I guess I'll continue to patiently wait for my one day of Fall. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to take a picture to remember that one glorious day. I'll soon be thinking about Fall as I put on my winter coat, gloves and hat and head out to blow the snow off the driveway.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love fall too except for the raking. It is my favorite time of year. Everything is pretty and crisp. I hope you have some fall like days before the snow and real cold.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,
There has always been a saying-Fall is the most beautiful time of the year !! Lets hear what you think ??
One thing for sure . Snow coming down really makes for a beautiful picture. But like we experienced -after 6 months of winter It gets old!!. They say the seasons are the healthest !!
Enjoy anyway Much love

Anonymous said...

I guess that in Alaska, the Fall season runs from Midnight on the last day of Summer until sun-up of the following morning. If you get dressed before you open the doors or windows you'll have missed Fall all together. Don't cry though, I guarantee that you won't miss Winter.

Love Ya!