Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It Takes Talent

I will admit that it took great talent to put a hole in the middle of my fingernail. Now, just imagine what it looked like before my nail grew out and that hole was right in the middle of my nailbed! That my friends, took real talent! It's not as impressive without a visual, so I will explain......

It all started one fine Saturday afternoon while I was taking a shower. I decided to shave my legs. No big deal, right? Well, for some lame, unknown reason, I chose to shave with both hands. The razor was in one hand and I was keeping balance with the other hand holding/resting on my leg. That's where things started to go very wrong!


This is the razor I use. As you can see, it has 4 blades, very close to one another and 8 little wires that go down the blades vertically. I have intentionally tried to put my nail between two of the blades and I couldn't do it. This particular afternoon was an exception. Unwittingly, as I was pulling up on the razor, my fingernail slipped right between two of the blades. I couldn't do it again if I tried!

Not knowing my nail was stuck in the razor, I continued to move in an upward direction, pulling the fingernail away from my nail bed and slicing a hole right into the middle of the nail. Talent I tell you, pure talent! As soon as I felt the nail pull away from the skin, I realized what had happened. As you can only imagine, it did not feel good at all! I have to admit, the aftermath was rather humorous though. I was in so much pain that I immediately hopped out of the shower and beckoned to Eric for assistance/moral support. As I was moaning and groaning and holding back tears, he asked me what I wanted. I told him, "I just want my mom".

Ladies and gentlemen, I have been married for 12 years, but on a rare occasion, I still need a parent. Considering the fact that my mom lives 3,000 miles away, we did not actually call her. Once I had regained my composure, Eric asked if I still wanted him to "call my mom" and I told him not to because it would take too long for me to explain the whole thing and it was so complicated to explain that she'd never fully appreciate what I had done. We did get a nice chuckle out of it though.

I'm not sure you will all be able to follow along and fully appreciate my story either, but I really just wanted to share the picture of my nail and figured you deserved some sort of explanation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds icky. It makes me cringe just thinking about slicing into your fingernail. Of course it is kinda cool looking now. It also sounds just like something I would do.

Laurie

Anonymous said...

I can imagine how that must have hurt. But your a real "ALASKAN Mavrick" and can handle most anything!
Oh also the new bionic teeth look great.And what an intellegent idea that dentist had... See!! You must be proud ..
I guess winter has fully set in by now. And before you know it you will be visiting in Calif.. for the holidays.
Wait until you see Andy he is a little sweetie. I am sure you have recd pictures already. We couldnt attend the celebration this past weekens at the Mayer house as I was sick..
How about sending a few pictures of all of you to put in frame.
Love you all,
Gram & Grandpa Mayer