Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Boys Dabble in Politics

Two weeks ago, both of the boys came home from school and announced that they were running for Student Council. Logan decided he was going to run for President and Kaiden was going to run for Historian. As a 4th grader, the only office Kaiden could run for was Historian and the students had to choose one male candidate and one female candidate for the position.

To be honest, both Eric and I were surprised the boys expressed interest in running, considering the fact that they would have to make posters, and write and give a speech in front of the 3-6 grades. I have to admit that I was less than thrilled with their interest in running for office. I ran for Student Council several times as a child. I won the election a time or two and I lost a time or two. The sad thing is, as an adult, I don't remember holding office as much as I remember how I felt when I lost. As a mom, I think it's natural to want to shelter your kids from that same feeling, but on the other hand, as a good mom, I think it was obligation to support them in their endeavor. I won't lie to you, I also thought it was my perogative to lay out the hard facts. I explained that they were basically signing up to run in a popularity contest and that they both needed to be prepared to lose. I explained that they had been at their school for less than a year and that there were a lot of kids running for each position, which would make it very difficult to win. They both still decided to make a go of it.

Despite our wild and crazy winds on Friday, the boys were beckoned to school to give their speeches. Only in Alaska does the school principal call you personally at 9:50 to let you know that (despite their earlier misgivings) school would in fact be in session and that the kids needed to be there to give their speeches by 10:30. I quickly had the boys get dressed and I ran the them up the hill to school. Since I was already there, I decided to sit through the 54 1-minute speeches. Logan was the very last student to give his speech. Talk about torture! To make matters worse, the results weren't going to be announced until Monday, so the poor kids had to wait through the weekend for the results.

The kids found out at 9:00 yesterday morning who won the election. I, on the other hand, had to wait until the kids arrived home on the bus at 3:45 to find out. If someone has asked me if I thought either of our boys would win I would have said, "no". If someone had told me one of the boys would lose and one of them would win, (based on personality and peer interactions) I would have guessed that Logan would win and Kaiden would not. You can imagine my shock when the boys got off the bus and I learned that Kaiden had won his bid for Historian and Logan did not win for President (he lost to two girls who actually tied and will share the duties).

I give both of the boys a huge amount of credit because neither of them seemed very affected when they came off the bus. Kaiden was not gloating because he had won and Logan was not crying because he had lost. Obviously, the best result for both boys would have been for them to both win, but aside from that, I think it was "best-case" that Logan lost to girls. I don't think the thought ever occurred to him that a girl was even his real competition. The funny thing is, both boys were a little miffed that there are only two boys on the entire Student Council (Kaiden being one of them). Apparantly, girls have been in the majority on the Student Council for several years running and my boys think there needs to be a change.

Now, I just have to figure out what exactly my role, oops, I mean Kaiden's role is as Historian. I joke about it being my job, but let's be real, we all know that as the mom, it's going to be my job to get Kaiden where he needs to be, when he needs to be there. It is also going to be my job to make sure he's actually fulfilling his obligation as Historian. As a parent, life's lessons can be such a double-edged sword. I tell ya', the things we do for our kids!

7 comments:

Christy said...

Congratulations to Kaiden on his new duties and congratulations for Logan too for so valiently going for his goal.

Wow, things must really be different in Alaska that student council responsibilities extend to the parents!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that last comment seemed kind of brutal. I have two older children as well and I know exactly what you're talking about with the whole student council thing. We all want our kids to be happy,but sometimes that comes with a price for us as parents. I completely understand the added pressure something like that puts on you as a mom.

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. Kids don't always understand the responsibilities they've taken on, and as parents, it's our duty to teach them. You're doing a doing a great job!!!

P.S. Your blog reassures my feelings as well...we must be doing something right.

Christy said...

Nope, not commenting from brutality here . . . just from the perspective of a teacher who for six years served as student council advisor at the 4th - 6th grade level. We worked very hard to provide guidance and to ensure duties could be carried out within the school day (including recess and lunch) so that kids could be responsible for their duties without having to infringe on their lives outside of school. :)

Anonymous said...

Both of my kids served on student council. It was in 2nd grade for each and at 2 different schools (different states too). Maybe 2nd grade is different, but they didn't do anything and were pretty bored. Also after about 2 months of having to get up early to go to meetings they thought the whole thing was pretty dumb. I can't remember if there were any positions or just class representatives, but I only had to drive them to the meetings. I do have a copy of one poster that my older son made for some event though. Anyway Good job for them trying out for something new. I hope it is a good experience for Kaiden.

Laurie D.

Anonymous said...

"Things must be different in Alaska that student council responsibilities extend to the parents". What??!!

Christy obviously isn't the parent of school age children, otherwise she would know EXACTLY what you are talking about. EVERYTHING our kids do extend to us. Hello!!

Christy said...

Wow Steph!

The mama bears sure have turned out in force! It seems that some may be reading too much into my comments and trying to make something out of nothing. As you and I both know, school cultures differ from locale to locale. In my experience student council responsibilities have not been extended to parents. However, I realize that in some school cultures more may be required and expected of parents, and maybe yours is one of them. I hope you have not been as irate about what I said as some as your good readers.

At least you know from all of this dialogue that your blog is being read! And let’s not forget the reason I bothered to comment in the first place . . . to congratulate the boys.