Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I'M LEGAL!!!!!

O.K. O.K., I've techincally been legal for several years now, but...I went Friday to get my Alaska driver's license. I'm now officially an Alaskan (well...kinda' anyway)! If you haven't already figured it out, there is pretty much a story for everything with me. Nothing can ever be simple, straightforward, and uneventful!

Let me start by telling you that I love my husband dearly. He's not perfect, but he's the one I chose and we're happy to be stuck with each other. Having said that, he's not always the most understanding person in the world. In his defense, I admit that I can be a ditz at times. With that in mind, you can understand why I didn't want to tell him I was going to the DMV to get my license. Much to my displeasure, there is a computerized test you have to pass in order to actually get it. If I didn't pass the test I figured nobody needed to know and it would be my little secret.

I'm still not real familiar with Anchorage and I decided I needed to figure out how to get to the DMV without asking Eric for directions. I have a GPS, but it doesn't have Alaska in it, so until Garmin sends me an update, GPS isn't an option. Like any resourceful woman, I decided to "google" the DMV. I looked the map over, but because the directions were so simple I decided it wasn't worth printing them out. Remember those ditzy moments I was telling you about earlier, yeah, well...I got lost! Not just kinda' lost, but way lost!

Now, I could suck it up and call Eric at work to ask for directions, but that would require that I divulge I was on my way to the DMV. I wasn't that desperate! Coming clean was not an option at this point. So I did what any brilliant daddy's girl would do...I called my dad in California to "google" me around Anchorage. The only problem was...daddy wasn't home! Should I call Eric? Nah! I called my friend Barbara, in California, to google a map for me. She wasn't home! Now what? Call Eric? Oh no, I wasn't that desperate yet! I called the DMV! Resourceful I tell ya'!!!!!!

I finally made it to the DMV in one piece. Wouldn't you know, I actually passed the test! It wasn't a big deal and I knew it wouldn't be, but you just never know with the DMV. Of course, as soon as I walked out the door of the DMV I called Eric to tell him I had my new Alaska driver's license and I never spoke a word about getting lost. That Garmin update I mentioned....I should have it in 7-10 business days!!!!!

1 comment:

grammayer said...

Go Girl go ! Now you will be the queen of the road.
We are happy for you .
You can write an interesting story of all the exciting happinings in Alaska.
Our love.obubaptf