Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Moose On The Loose


One of the most unique experiences we've had in our limited time here in Alaska is having moose roam freely in our yard. The first week we were here Kaiden was looking out the back window while eating lunch and he insisted that he saw a moose. Kaiden had been "seeing" a variety of wild animals for a few days and I was sure this was another of his "sightings", but I humored him and walked the window. Sure enough, right in our own backyard, was not one, but two moose. Naturally, being from California, the first thing I did was make a mad dash for the camera! The movers were still here and they laughed at us for being so excited about seeing moose. I won't apologize!


There are a couple of minor details that I have yet to overcome when it comes to photographing moose in their element, on the "fly" so to speak: if you get too close they run, if the camera flashes or makes the slightest noise they run, if they hear your footsteps they run, and if I'm far enough away to actually snap the picture, they're hidden behind branches. That my friends is why you may not be sure what exactly you were just looking at a picture of. It is in fact a picture of a moose in our backyard!


Don't fret...the moose (I'm sure it's a mama and her baby) have been around almost daily lately and I'm sure I'll eventually get a great picture for you all to see. Over the weekend, Eric and I were out shoveling snow in -1 degree weather and the neighbor alerted us that there was a moose lurking. Eric walked around the corner of the house and there, pressed up against the side of the house, eating the tips off of all of our plants, was a big mama moose. I tried for a headshot of her, but I was only able to get a picture of her butt. I didn't think you'd care much to see that angle, so I spared you this time! If the moose continue to be elusive on film, you may not fare as well next time.

No comments: