Thursday, January 8, 2009

Living in Intervals

I decided that since we are in a new year, I should have a new mantra. I have to confess, I didn't set out to come up with a theme for my life, but I was in the gym the other day, mindlessly working out (we all know what happens to me when I do that) and it just came to me. I've decided that I'm going to "live life in intervals".

If you think I'm whacked out, that's o.k. with me. Really though, if you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Here's my perspective...I hate the treadmill, the stair climber, the eliptical machine and lifting weights. I guess you can say, that I hate working out. The crazy thing is, I do it anyway. I was reflecting on that thought the other day while I was in the process of working out and I decided that I am able to go to the gym several days a week because everything I do there is in short intervals.

After all, I can do anything in the gym in 2 to 5 minute intervals. I can raise the incline on the treadmill and walk at some crazy pace for two minutes. I can run at some ridiculous speed for two minutes. I can climb the stair stepper at an uncomfortable rate for 15 second stints. Outside of the gym, I can be around people I don't like or agree with for short periods of time. I can perform a task that I don't enjoy as long as I know it will all be over soon. I can even eat something I don't particularly care for as long as I know I only have "x" number of pieces to swallow. I'm certainly not Super Woman, but I think you get the picture. I will even go out on a limb and say that many of you are probably the same way.

With my gym experience in mind, I decided that when I start to feel a little overwhelmed with the random things that occur in daily life, I can handle it all if I just think about it in terms of "intervals". I'm going to set aside a realistic amount of time to accomplish a task and then do whatever it is that needs to be done in that amount of time.

It sounds good in theory...doesn't it???? I'll let ya' know how it's working for me at a later date.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Steph,
Good luck with your intervals!!!
Just take each day as it comes, and make it a Masterpiece !!
Grama M

Anonymous said...

Sounds great. If only I could actually get anything done in my intervals I would be set. Somehow I usually start with big plans and before I know it the day is over. I hope it works with you. As for working out you should try the wii fit. My boys got it for Christmas and I love it. I actually started to work out again. Now I just need to fit it into my schedule.

Laurie D.