Friday, January 9, 2009

I Have Learned...

Now that we have lived in Alaska for a full year, I thought it would be appropriate for me to share with you some of the things I have learned.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT...

Alaska is breathtakingly beautiful year-round

Seeing moose and bears in your yard never gets old

Studded tires and 4 wheel-drive are worth their weight in gold

60 degrees is still too chilly for me to wear shorts

The body's need for sunshine and Vitamin D is under-rated

Provided I'm indoors the majority of the time, I will not turn into a popsicle in freezing temperatures

Nose hairs freeze almost instantly when it's below zero

I can leave Chapstick in the car, even in the summer, and I don't have to worry about it melting

There are more hunting and fishing rules than I could ever pretend to know

Not all salmon are the same

Moose and caribou are delicious and they DO NOT taste like chicken

Although it is "dark" during the winter, there is still a period of sunlight everyday

The sun does actually go down at some point in every 24 hour period, even in the summer

In winter, the clearer the sky, the colder the temperatures

We would be broke if we didn't have Costco

We are broke becuase we have Costco

Our children can't get enough of the snow

I love to watch it snow

Our family will be forever enriched because we have had the opportunity to live in Alaska

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had the opportunity to live there as an adult. It is fun as a kid, but I think you would appreciate a lot more as an adult, especially the beauty. After all if you choose to live in the snow it may as well be in a place as beautiful as Alaska.

Laurie D.