Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Acceptance Post


Wow, what can I say, with a 78% approval rating from the "getting by in alaska" blogspot voters, I feel more popular than most government leaders. Thank you to all my supportive followers (potential followers anyway), for the overwhelming landslide of a victory. I would anticipate that you will enjoy my periodic posts and with time my approval rating will climb even higher. As for the three (3) of you that decided to vote against my occasional contribution, I am pretty sure you can find something better to be doing right about NOW! Not to worry, I don’t get mad, I get even!!! Okay, lets get to it.

Let me start with this big broad statement: "Most of what has been stated in this blog as of today is true, with an emphasis on most." I guess it’s okay to take some poetic liberty when writing a blog, why not, I would have to guess that a good majority of the people who end up reading the posts don’t even know who we are or what our lives are all about. I do have to admit, I thought the whole blog thing was a waste of time. I was quite surprised that the site was being visited so frequently. As of this post, the site has been visited 517 times since January 26, 2007. I do in fact find it quite interesting to look at the statistics link, a link that shows you just about everything you want to know about how often your blog page is being viewed, with the exception of who is viewing it. Very interesting stuff indeed. I do find myself reading the comments that people leave, that’s kind of cool to hear from people you know and people you don’t know. I have even told some of the people I know about the blog, it’s a good way to tell people about our journeys and adventures in Alaska.

So, here we are, living and working is Alaska, it is quite a change from Southern California. For those of you who don’t know, both Stephanie and I were born and raised in SUNNY Southern California. I do have to say, you do kind of settle into a routine. One thing that is kind of hard to get used to is the extreme cold. Right now it is –4 degrees and it has been sub zero for about a week and a half. The average temperature in Anchorage is supposed to be about 20 degrees or so this time of year. The weatherman is saying warmer weather ahead and that means snow. Stephanie is lucky though, I am going to Seattle for business next week and she will get to manage the snow blowing, although Kaiden, our eight year old, told me he would do it. Driving in this weather is also a treat and a challenge at times. We have a new 4wheel drive Honda Pilot (we like it) and recently purchased studded tires. The car works well in most, if not all, driving circumstances. Really, like most areas, you need to watch out for the crazy drivers around you. I heard the average age in Alaska is about 34 years old, very young age. When I first moved here, the Realtor told me that people run red lights routinely, so look before you go on green. So far, we have done well, with the exception of our slide down a hill and into a small snow berm. Studs were installed the next day!

In an earlier post, you heard about Stephanie’s Alaska DMV adventure, you know, the trip she was keeping a secret. Well, I am happy to report that I too am legal to drive in the great state of Alaska. Of course I did not get lost trying to find the place and I did not miss a question on the test. I am not saying I am better than my wife, I am just stating the facts.

This next part is primarily for all the guys that are checking into this blog, gals are welcome too, but you may lose interest, unless you already have.

After getting my license on Friday, I drug Stephanie to a sporting goods store, you know, a store with guns. I have been eyeing a specific gun (.44 magnum) for some time and I needed executive (wife) approval to purchase. I have been wanting, maybe needing, to buy a .44 magnum for a while, even before coming to Alaska, so after moving here, the deal was sealed. I am not sure if most of you know this or not, but wild animals roam the neighborhoods here, bears, moose, etc., you can’t be too careful. Anyway, I purchased a Stainless Steel Ruger Redhawk .44 magnum 4" (six shot), it can fire the biggest heaviest loads. It is a big gun, with a lot of power, enough to drop a bear if necessary (with a good shot). I don’t intend to hunt bear, it is more for protection while hunting, fishing, and hiking. I have not fired it yet, I will report back after I do.

A couple more things about guns in Alaska: 1. I was able to fill out paperwork, pay for the gun, and walk out of the store with it, all in about 20 minute. If you are an Alaska resident all they have to do is make a call and check your background, if you are clean, you can take to gun home immediately. 2. While in Alaska you can carry a concealed weapon (CCW) without any special permits. There are some restrictions, but they are minimal. Even in your car, all you are required to do is advise law enforcement that you have a loaded firearm if you are stopped. It truly is like the old west up here.

Well, I believe I have written enough for my first ghost post, I hope most of you enjoyed it, and if you did not, that’s okay too.

6 comments:

grandma mayer said...

GOOD WORK ERIC,
We enjoyed reading your blog .
It is interesting to hear about the animals that roam .
It all takes getting used to and you guys may never wan't to leave Alaska....But being there gives you folks a lot to share with everyone .
Interesting about how they drive there.
I can remember one winter in NY.we had 15 ft. of snow.So your not too bad off.. Ha
Keep us informed.

Christy said...

Sounds like getting a gun is as easy in Alaska as in Arizona. Brian flipped out the first time he was at the bank and the guy in line with him had a gun. One of the shadier restaurants that we frequent requests that patrons leave guns outside. Hmmm. And Eric, since you have so much fun with the site counter have I got a site for you! Go to googledotcom/analytics/home and register your blog. Then you can track where your visitors are coming from (city/state/country), how visitors get to your site, and which keyword searches bring visitors to your site. It will keep you occupied for a good stretch of time. Check it out.

Kelli said...

I was a little concerned seeing the gun. but when I realised it was the hubby, I felt better. Great first blog!
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Eric, you are the man! You probably should have gone with the .50 cal instead of the .44 magnum, but hey, to each his own. I like the CCW laws up there. That probably keeps robberies to a minimum, because the bad guys don't ever know just exactly who is going to pull a gun on them!! Fly low and avoid the radar, TD

Anonymous said...

Good Job Eric, I mean, considering it's your first time and all.
Loved the gun picture (at first I thought it was for the 3 who didn't want you to post-a little disappointed after I read the whole blog and realized it was about your purchase HAHA!)

Mrs. C said...

Hi Watermans!
What fun reading your blog! Alaska sounds incredible and such an enormous contrast to So. Cal. You are quite a talented writer, Mrs. Waterman! Thanks also for your wonderful e-letter. I promise to respond ASAP. We're in the midst of report cards/conferences....) Tell Logan hello! We sure miss him at PT!!
Mrs. C. :)