Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Funny Valentine

Any female reading this blog post is going to appreciate how romantic my husband is. This story is sure to put your boyfriend, husband, significant other, etc. to shame. Read on............................. my dear husband, who rarely invites me to join him for lunch mid-week (he's getting better though), invited me to meet him at his office for Valentine's Day lunch. We would meet at his office and he'd take me to Thai food. Sounds good, right???

Let me take you back about a month. When we bought our car, the salesman asked us to sign a piece of paper stating that they could use our address to send a small appreciation gift to us at home. He explained that they like to say "thank you" by sending something like candy or flowers. He then explicitly asked if I would want candy or flowers. I explained that I like fresh flowers and it would be nice to have some in our new house (we had only been here a week at that point).

Last week, I happened to think about the flowers and the fact that they had arrived. Ironically, last weekend Eric mentioned the fact that we had never received our flowers fromt he car dealership. I concurred and told him how I had been thinking about it too. He looked at me, and said "I'm calling Alex (the salesman)"! He picked up his cell phone right then and there and proceeded to make the phone call. I was cracking up! I would never have said a word about it to the dealership, after all, it was suppossed to be a kind gesture, not a part of any agreement we made. Not Eric, he was all about those flowers. Alex wasn't in so Eric proceeded to leave a vague message for Alex to give him a call when he had a chance.

Fast forward to yesterday, Valentine's Day...when I met Eric in the reception area at his office he walked me to his personal office, pointed to a nicely arranged plant sitting on his file cabinet and said "oh, here' your Valentine's present". I responded appropriately by saying how nice the plant/flowers were and mentioned what a nice gesture it was for him to get them for me. He then said, "well, you can thank Alex too". The wheels in my head start turning. Alex...Alex....Alex who? You're gonna' love this one.

Apparantly there had been a shake up at the car dealership and our flower order had inadvertently been overlooked. When Alex has called and explained things to Eric he was understanding about it. Alex said the he still wanted to send the flowers. Eric was open to the idea, but then told Alex that he would like the flowers delivered on Valentine's Day. I AM NOT KIDDING!!!!! Sure enough, the day before, Eric got a call from someone at the dealership asking where he wanted the flowers to be delivered on Valenitine's Day.

This is the kicker, and my favorite part of the story (if you can even believe there's more)....the envelope that holds the little card was a window envelope. The florist just sticks the dealerships business card in the window, throws the stick in the flowers and off they go. When the plant arrived, the business card was showing in the window of the envelope. Eric wasn't going to be sneaky or steal the car dealerships "thunder", so instead of throwing the card away and replacing it with one of his own, he simply flipped the card over, wrote "Happy Valentine's Day" on it, and stuck the business card back in the envelope with the note he wrote showing through the window.

ISN'T HE ROMANTIC???!!! Now you all know why I married Eric! He may not be the most romantic guy around, but he sure is practical (not to be confused with cheap)!

For the record, we had a very nice family Valentine's Day. We had dinner at a local Brewhouse, which is actually a very nice place for dinner, but is still appropriate for children. After diner we all went to see Hairspray the musical. The boys enjoyed the play and weren't phased by the few sexual overtones, which fortunately, were still over their heads. All in all, a very nice evening!

No comments: