Monday, February 18, 2008

Wind, Wind, Go Away...


"Santa Ana winds, that's one thing I won't miss". When we left CA they were predicting Santa Ana winds, I turned to Eric and made that comment. Boy, was I naive! Here in Alaska we have warms winds that are equivalent to the Santa Anas, that are called Chinooks. Who would have thought? We experienced our first Chinooks a few weeks ago and with them came extemely high winds and a major thaw! We were in the 40s for several days and much of the snow pack melted. It was a mess! Of course, the winds were short lived and after about a week and a half of below 0 temperatures the snow came again and we were back in the 20s. I know you might find this shocking, but I'll take the 20s and snow to those blasted winds any day.

This past Saturday it snowed like mad around here! I even had to blow snow yesterday morning. The extended forecast was calling for temps in the 20s through the 10 day forecast and a chance of snow everyday. Randomly, yesterday afternoon out of nowhere, the winds kicked up and the temperature almost instantly went from 20-45 degrees. All night long those darn winds blew! I slept terribly and woke to a big slippery, melted mess outside! The upshot to all of this was that I didn't have to snowblow today and we had this beutiful view from our deck this deck. Gotta' love it!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

that is BEAUTIFUL!