Thursday, February 7, 2008

WE'RE SHOCKED!

One of the oddest phenomenon we have experienced here is the static electricity. The only thing I don't like about our house is the cream colored carpeting. Some brilliant person decided that off-white carpet was the perfect color for Alaska. I strongly disagree! Changing all of the carpeting in the house isn't an option right now, so, we walk around in socks or slippers while we're home. We have found if we are not wearing slippers and are in our socks, especially wool socks, it can literally be shocking! The shocks usually occur as we go to turn on the light switches and they are often so strong that we can actually see the spark (I guess it's technically called "the arc").

Last week Eric walked by Logan's room while the alarm clock was going off. Logan was in the shower, so, being the energy conservationist he is, Eric decided he was going to turn the alarm off. I'm still not quite sure what exactly transpired, but the best I can come up with is that as Eric reached to touch the clock he was shocked and the static actually shorted out the alarm clock!!!! As he came back down the hall, Eric kinda' joked that he had shorted out the clock. When I went in the room to see what had ocurred, the numbers on the clock were all wacky. I unplugged the clock thinking that maybe it just needed to be reset. When I plugged it back in the clock didn't work at all!

Of course, the clock couldn't have just been a basic one, this one was a cool projection one that I can't find in Alaska. The good new is that I had just purchased the clock through Amazon, so I was able to return it and have a new one sent right away. I did, however, claim that the clock wasn't in working order when we received it (shhh...don't tell). We learned our lesson though, apparantly everyting around here needs to be grounded.

Another shocking thing around here.......the gas bill!!!!! We got our much anticipated first gas bill last week and I think that unless we want to live in an igloo I'll have to get a job just to pay for our heating bill. It was $312.00, SHOCKING!!!!! I guess that's no worse than the electric bills can be in CA and AZ during the heat of the summer, but still!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Yeah, that's about what our electric bill is in the summer here in AZ. Not a lot of fun. And our gas bill runs about $15 during the summer. In winter our gas bill shoots up to about $100 and the electric bill drops to about $100. Fun, huh? How about taking up knitting?

grandma mayer said...

We know where your coming from when you saythe gas bill was a shocker!
Our gas bill last month was $I67.00
that is for heat & dryer. Electic we pay on a budget $i66.00all year that is for air and other electris. We have to use big utilites after 9pm in the evening and all day Sat & Sun. Its really 9 t0 9AM during the week. I have never had utility bills that high. And our house is smaller than
Criss & Brians
If it gets too high again -
Just don"t pay it??? Hadditza