Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How Do They Do It?

I often wonder how single parents do it. I certainly don't envy them. I am married, stay home and I still have a hard time keeping the house clean, laundry done, everyone fed, and the taxi in service.

I don't know how anyone does it when their children are in multiple activities. Both of the boys are playing Little League and just this one activity is quickly becoming overwhelming. Logan was drafted into the majors and Kaiden is on a minor team. We couldn't be fortunate enough to have practice for one kid on Mondays and Wednesdays and one kid on Tuesdays and Thursdays, no, we have practive for both kids on Mondays and Wednesdays at exactly the same time at two different places. Logan will actually have practice everyday this week and both boys have games at exactly the same time on Saturday, of course, at two separate locations. In between all of this, the boys still have homework, need to eat on occassion and Logan has to memorize The Gettysburg Address.

I know most, if not all, of you have had a similar experience with your kids or something else in your life. I'm not crying the blues or seeking sympathy, I'm really just wondering out loud (so to speak). I honestly don't get how single parents and parents with more than two kids do all that is required of a parent. My hat is off to them! I'm blessed to have the support of a husband and I'm smart enough not to over-schedule my children, but just the minimum can still be a lot to handle.

I will go on the record for just one moment and say that I don't get paid enough and I think I deserve a raise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I give so much credit to single parents that can still raise good kids. I get a glimpse of it when my husband travels and it is tiring. It is really hard when you don't have a support system because you live away from all family (same as us). I am always envious of families being close especially for the kids. It has been so long since we lived near family that we really cherish the visits. Anyway I have no advice for you because one kid will still be left out. I'd pick the one who doesn't care as much if you are there and try to take turns. We have been pretty lucky that most things don't overlap (hard with 3), but they have all gotten stuck going places they don't want to over the years. It gets easier when they are older, mine are 14, 12 and 5. They usually can now stay home and even babysit sometimes. Good luck this weekend and be happy that at least there is 2 of you. Laurie D.