Thursday, May 22, 2008

Schools Out For Summer

I can't believe I just typed those words! School is out for summer and it is only May 22! That's almost a whole month earlier than the kids in Southern California get out of school and they really don't start back to school much earlier. The first day of school will be August 20 here.

To think that I used to sit around just prior to June 20 many years, trying to figure out what I was going to do with my kids all summer. The beauty of being in Alaska is that it is a little different in the summer here compared to many places in the nation. For starters, we will have almost 24 hours of sunlight pretty soon and there are many outdoor activities to participate in that are easily accessible and don't cost much money. I have a strong suspicion that many company's run on almost a skeleton crew during the summer months. I venture to guess I'll be seeing Eric around here more than I would probably like to.

The other nice thing about living in Alaska during the summer (especially our first summer) is that we will have many visitors who will help break up the monotony. My side of the family will be coming to visit in late June. Eric's brother and his family will be passing through for a few days in early July, on their way to cruise The Inside Passage. In early August, Eric's parents are coming to town and after about a week here, we'll all be going on a cruise of The Inside Passage. We figure we don't know how long we'll be here, so we might as well see and do everything we can while we're here.

I'm off to have breakfast with some of the girls from the bus stop (they are all quickly becoming my saving grace) and then it's over to the school for an afternoon bbq. Such is the life of a mom! I'll be thinking of all you moms with kids still in school for another month, as I sleep in, don't have to worry about lunches being made or homework getting done. HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!

No comments: