Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Proud Member of the Rocket Club

Yes, you read that right, you are reading the blog of one of the newest members of the Elton John Rocket Club! I want you to know that in the name of entertaining you all, I am putting my head on the chopping block. If my husband reads this and finds out I spent $40 of his hard earned money to join Elton John's fan club, I will never hear the end of it. Let's just hope he has been too busy to keep tabs on my blogging.

Before you think I'm totally off my rocker, let me plead my case. As I mentioned yesterday, Elton John is coming to town and his concert sold out quickly. Eric and I went online last night and as we can all imagine, ticket prices are already out of this world on Ebay. People are getting upwards of $500 for one ticket and are selling pairs for close to $3000. There is no way I'm even gonna' go there! Lucky for me, good ol' EJ decided to add another show, on May 30. Tickets will go on sale Monday morning.

Always being the one looking for another angle, I decided to check out eltonjohn.com to see if they offer any special way of getting pre-sale tickets. What I found was that if you pay $40 to join his fan club, you get the priviledge of purchasing pre-sale tickets to his concerts. The site claims that the tickets are generally quite good (my words, not theirs) and each member is limited to 2 tickets. According to the newspaper this morning, out of the 8,000 seats in the arena, about 1,000 are set aside for promotional purposes and fan club members. Considering that each member can only purchase 2 tickets, my chances of getting tickets as a member of the Elton John fan club could certainly be better than those of the general population.

I figure at a membership price of $40, if I am in fact able to purchase tickets, I will have only paid a mark-up of $20/ticket. That's a far more reasonable mark-up than what people on ebay are paying and a portion of my 40 bucks goes to charities that Elton John supports. If I don't get pre-sale tickets I'll probably be pissy for about a day, I'll swear at myself for throwing away $40, and I will have made a charitable contribution.

After carefully weighing my options I decided that I have spent $40 on worse causes and, if nothing else, the drama over these darn tickets has been worth my $40. Who knows, I may even walk away from this whole thing with 2 tickets to an Elton John concert in my hand. Then we'll see who's laughing! If nothing else, I'll have a great Elton John poster to hang somewhere in my house. Are you jealous yet?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT!!!!

Eric

Anonymous said...

Did joining the Rocket Club work? Did you get tickets? Were they good seats?
I am thinking of doing the same to buy tickets for his Calgary show.

Stephanie said...

Joining his fan club for the second show here was a BIG waste of money. I got the email for the pre-sale tickets, but they were sold out immediately. It would probably worth your while to join if it's before tix go on sale for the first show. If tix go on sale on a Monday, be looking for your email Thursday a.m. and be right on top of it.