Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Days Are Gettin' Longer


It is 10:15 p.m. and this is what it looks like outside right now. Let me tell you, coming from a California girl, this lack of darkness thing is CRAZY ! Two nights ago I went for a walk/jog at 9:45 p.m. and it was still light enough that I wasn't the least bit freaked out to be out and about unaccompanied.

Kaiden really has a hard time with the fact that it isn't dark when he has to go to bed. In his mind, if it isn't dark, it isn't bedtime. Trying to explain to an eight year old know-it-all (literally) that he still has to go to bed at 9:30 even though the sun is still out has made for some tough evenings. Don't mention the fact that he has blackout shades in his room and he's still sleeping with a nightlight on, those are just minor details to my dear Kaiden.

Logan, on the other hand, has embraced going to bed when it is still light out. As a matter of fact, he has decided it is still light enough when he goes to bed now that he doesn't even need a dim nightlight anymore. I'm sure me energy conscious husband loves that!

I'll keep you posted on the lack of darkness around here as the spring and summer progress. I can only imagine how light out it will be at 10:00 p.m. in mid-June. YIKES! I may never sleep again.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

my 3 year old has the same problem, good for us its not light that late. He can not be reasoned with. hehe when we were on our cruise in may 07 to alaska, it was pitch dark because we didnt have any windows. hehe

Christy said...

My deepest sympathies to Kaiden. I remember when we lived in Connecticut when I was a kid we had to go to bed when it was still light out during the summer. Hated it!

grandma mayer said...

You folks are really getting an education how life is in Alaska-And that is good! Someday you will all look back and have lots of memories...
When we had our truck camper we took a trip across Canada. And was surprised that it was 11pm and still light out.
Seems children never are ready for bed. HA love to all

Anonymous said...

Hope this won"t eat your heart out-
The temp here was 96deg.today. Send a little of the Alaska wheather our way !!!!!