Monday, April 14, 2008

Digging for Buried Treasure


Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like without moms. Oh, I'm sure my husband and kids could get along without me, but I firmly believe their quality of life would not be nearly what it is with me. Without me, their quality of life would be on par with...mine.

You see, for the past few months we've had an adorable, energetic kitten bouncing and pouncing around our house. The arrangement had been that Logan was supposed to be responsible for cleaning out the litter box. He did so for the first few weeks, but he's excrutiatingly slow at it and let's just say he's not very "detail oriented". You could argue that he's this way by design (to get out of his chore), but I can say that he comes by it honestly. Details have never been his forte. So, needless to say, yours truly has had to step in to clean out the litter box more often than I'd like.

As a result of becoming so intimately involved with the litter box, I just happened to notice a lack of feces in it over the past several days and became a bit concerned. My children ADORE their cat and the last thing I need is the guilt from something happening to her on my watch. I wasn't quite ready to take her into the vet though. I wasn't going to go broke at the vet's because I had a hunch our kitten had a pooping problem. Instead, I talked to a few people and did some research online and decided she was probably just stopped up by hair in her tummy. I decided to try giving Princess Guinness an over-the-counter hairball remedy.

After several days of treatment, it became a waiting game. Not a waiting game for my children or my husband, but a waiting game for me. All last week, several times a day, everyday, I had the priviledge of sifting through the litter box in search of buried treasure. The boys were on "poop watch", reporting to me any time they thought Guinness might have "gone".

I am happy to report (and I'm sure you will all be happy to know), that things seem to be back to normal for our little kit and I'm only out around $4.00. If I had left things to my husband and kids they most likely would have never noticed their precious kitten even had a problem. If by chance Eric had noticed a problem, he would have hoped that he could ignore it and that it would go away. Not dear ol' mom, she not only noticed the problem, but had the luxury of being actively involved throughout the whole darn process. Now that's committment!

What would my family do without me????

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moms always get the gross jobs. And the thankless never ending ones (Laundry).

Glad the kitty is good.

Laurie D.

Kelli said...

when our cat was an indoor cat, I used these 10 pieces of plastic with holes in it. You put it infirst then put the kitty litter on top, then how ever often you would normally scoop, youjust lift the 4 corners. Its an option for your son. All the clumps are trapped in the plastic and the litter sifts threw the holes