Friday, April 4, 2008

Should I Become Edjumacated?

There have been many times in my life when I have thought about going back to school, again, to finish my Bachelor's Degree. I emphasize the word again, because I've already been back to school once as as an adult (while nurturing two kids a husband and a part-time job) to get my Associates Degree. It wasn't fun and it took forever, but I'm glad I did it.


By the time I had finished my degree, Eric was motivated to go back to school to get his Bachelor's. We decided that our family could only manage with one parent in school at a time, so I held down the fort while Eric went to school one night a week for 18 months. He attended Azusa Pacific's accelerated degree completion program for working adults. It was a fantastic way for a working adult with a family to obtain a degree. Eric had to put in many hours doing school work at home, but was only required to actually attend class one evening a week. Looking back, those 18 months really flew by.


The plan had always been for me to finish my degree once Eric had completed his and once I was motivated to attend school again. Now that we're here in Alaska and I have some time on my hands I've been thinking that now would be the perfect time for me to finish school. I've looked into several programs and think I've decided that APU's new online degree completion program would make the most sense for me. The other option would be to attend Alaska Pacific University's program, but I like the APU option because I'm familiar with it.


Here's my quandry, and the reason you all need to put your "two cents" in on my online poll...the cost is about $20,000.00! No matter how you look at it, $20,000.00 is a lot of money, but I could justify the expense more if I was going to get my degree and run off to work to recoup the money. Where I stand (or actually sit) right now, I don't know if/when I'm going to go back to work. I may end up with a degree I don't ever actually need.


I would love to teach some day, but right now, I don't know what the future holds. On the other hand, because I don't know what the future holds, is the precise reason I feel the urge to get my degree. I've always figured that if nothing else, it would be nice to substitute teach at some point in time. If I have my degree I will always have a way to make around $100/day whether it be for a gift, a trip, extra money, an emergency, you name it.


Most of all, in my heart I know that having a degree is just a smart decision in this day and age. I just need to find a way to justify the expense to myself. I know we can get loans, but I also know we have to pay them back. Give me some advice...will it be worth it in the long run? Should I go back to school now or just forget about it forget about it for the moment and re-visit the idea down the road after we've actually saved up the money to pay for it?


I'm counting on all of you for some enlightenment!

5 comments:

Christy said...

Well, I sure tried to vote, but it wouldn't let me. I say get to it. If you wait until you need it then you will feel irritated and rushed that you just didn't do it before. Kinda how I feel about having more units than I need for a Masters, but not actually having a Masters. Now I find that it would help me, however, it would take about another 20 years of teaching to even recoup the costs of said Masters.

And, you seem to have time now. And like you said, you don't know what the future holds. So, get it done while the timing is good.

As far as the cost goes, it is probably easier to justify $20,000 worth of education expenses than $20,000 worth of Coach bags. However, if you get your degree, and get a job, then it's much easier to justify the expense of Coach bags. I'm sure Eric will disagree, but then it should make him happy if you are spending "your" money instead of "his" money.

At least you will have something to show for your outlay of $20,000 for education. You will have a pretty piece of paper to hang on the wall if nothing else. Remember the $30,000 worth of debt we racked up for failed fertility treatments? All we have to show for it is a pretty red sharps container that is all filled up. And it's not exactly something we can set out on the coffee table as a decor item. In fact, it will probably cost more money to dispose of it properly.

Oh well. Just get it done.

Rachel said...

If the in class version is less expensive, I'd do it that way. You would also be eligible for non-traditional student scholarships. We ended up saving a ton of money on his education that way.

Even though you may not have plans to use the degree, it may come in handy if for some reason your husband is no longer able to support the family. Also, it would be a good example for your sons.

grandma mayer said...

You are headed in the right direction.
Whichever road you take,GOOD LUCK !!
Just give it all a lot of thought..

Anonymous said...

$20,000 is alot of money. But your kids are still young and college is a long way off for them. Now that you have the time you should do it. Plus when it gets time for their school you can work to help pay for it and make more with a degree. I say go for it.

Laurie D.

Kelli said...

wont you start getting some state tax money or oil money or something once your a perm resident of alaska? that could off set you 20K?