Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Our Whirlwind Weekend

In my blog late last week I mentioned that I was excited that my good friend Barbara was coming to visit from California. Thanks to my humble little blog, apparantly word is out on the streets of So. Cal that Barbara was here for the weekend, so I thought I'd finally do a post about her visit. Let me start by saying that our visit was far too short, but that we had a really nice time and crammed in what we could.

Barb's flight arrived at 11:20 p.m. on Thursday. It was funny because for as much as I was looking forward to her visit, whether they admit it or not, the rest of the family was excited to see her too. The boys didn't have school on Friday, so all four of us piled in the car for the short drive to the airport. The flight arrived without incident and we were quickly on our way home with Barbara in tow. The boys went to bed and the adults stayed up to visit for a bit, before turning in for the night.

Because the boys had an in-servie day on Friday, Eric was kind enough to take the day off and spend it skiing with the boys at a local resort. Barbara and I, on the other hand, were off to the spa for facials. I didn't know what to expect from a spa in Alaska and I had never had a facial before, so this was going to be a new experience. We were both pleasantly surprised by the ambiance and treatments we received. After the spa, we were off to Nordstrom for a little retail therapy.

Friday night we had made arrangements to leave the boys with Troy and Cathy for the evening, so Eric, Barbara and I headed off to dinner at The Double Musky, a Cajun restaurant in a little local town called Girdwood. The restaurant opens at 4:30, doesn't take reservations and fills up fast. We arrived around 5:30 and only had to wait long enough to have a drink and an appetizer in the bar before being seated. Both Eric and Barbara had the house specialty, Pepper Steak, and I had the Lobster Kababs. The portions were tasty and quite large. Despite the doggy bags, we still opted for dessert. We unanimously chose to share a piece of Peanut Butter Pie. Let me tell you, I'm not always much for dessert and I don't even like pie, but this was one of the most AMAZING desserts I have ever tasted! It had a light crust, a creamy peanut butter base, and a hard chocolate layer just on the very top. It was to die for!

Saturday was a little more leisurely than Friday. We got up rather early, but we just hung out until about 11:00 a.m. We all decided it was probably time to give Troy and Cathy a reprieve, so we were off to pick up the boys. Barbara and I left the boys with Eric and we headed out to the local mall where we spent the remainder of the afternoon and the remainder of our monthly budgets. It's funny, Barbara says that she has a hard time finding clothes to buy, but when you add me to the equation she seems to do just fine. I guess it's just the moral support!

At around 5:00 p.m., we came home and met back up with Eric and the boys for dinner at our favorite restaurant, Moose's Tooth. It reminds me a little of BJs inside, but they mainly serve specialty pizzas, salads, and plenty of beer. The pizza there is probably one of the best Eric or I have ever had. It's a little unconventional, but it's delicious. The boys split a small pepperoni/cheese pizza while Eric, Barbara and I split two smalls. We put different toppings on each pizza half, so we ended up sampling Gyro, Chipotle Steak, Solstice (chicken, garlic, tomato, etc), and another less outlandish selection. We've been to The Moose's Tooth several times and for the record, so far, the Gyro pizza is my favorite, followed closely by the Chipotle Steak.

After dinner, Barbara and I headed off to the performing arts center to see Menopause The Musical. Although I don't imagine either of us is extemely close to menopause yet, we both found it quite hysterical. I have to tell you that even at the spry age of 34 there was so much I could relate to. It was a hoot!

Sunday morning came too fast! We were up and out of the house by 5:30 a.m., so Barb could catch a flight home at 7:00 a.m.! The things we do for our friends I tell ya'! I was sad to see Barbara go and I'm still missing her, but I really needed the visit. It was nice to be able to share a little sliver of our lives with someone we care about from "home" and more than anything, I needed the female companionship. I needed to spend time with someone who relates to me. I love my husband, but he doesn't always "get" me, nor does he pretend to. Barbara on the other hand, she "gets" me.

Thank God for good friends!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great visit. It's nice that she came from so far away for a weekend but I imagine that air travel is much faster than it was 30 years ago when we flew to Alaska on a puddle jumper. My friend was just here and we also had a great visit and I was very sad to see her go. We are going to CA this summer so we get another visit. Yea! Hopefully you get that chance this summer.

Laurie D.

Christy said...

It is always so great when friends make the effort to come visit after you've moved far away. 2 of the gals who were in our wedding, and their hubbies, have been out over a couple of weekends this past month. Also, Brian is really looking forward to his racing buddies coming out next weekend. Then the weekend after that we have other friends coming to visit from CA. Plus it's nice that this weekend we are heading to CA for the Angels opening night. Hopefully we'll get to see some friends while we are there.

And lest you think that you will be getting too lonely, enjoy the peace now. Looks like we will be out to visit you in June.

Anonymous said...

Barbara here:

"Amen, Sister. Thank God for good Friends" because you're the best! It was much harder parting ways this time than in January and somehow we've avoided tears... it must be because we know our friendship will withstand this chapter in our lives. Of course, cell phones are helpful too.

And just so everyone knows...Alaska isn't that bad. You should go visit because it's beautiful and the Watermans are pretty good hosts.