Thursday, March 27, 2008

Spring Reading

Growing up, I used to love to read. My mom was a great example, I can't remember an evening in my youth when I didn't see her with a book in her hand. She would usually stretch out on the couch after a long day and unwind with a book (granted, it was usually a Harlequin Romance, but they were books nonetheless). Looking back on it, I'm sure she loved to read (she still does), but reading was probably, first and foremost, her "escape".

As a young adult, I didn't read as often as I did as a kid. Life always had a way of getting in the way, especially when I was going to school, working, and particularly when I was dating. Then, somewhere along the way I got married and had kids. Once the kids came along, I read ALL THE TIME, only instead of reading novels I was reading One Fish Two Fish..., Chick A Chick A Boom Boom, and many other beloved childrens books.

Aside from the first year we had Logan, this is the first time in my life since having children, that I haven't worked at least part-time. For a while I worked part-time during the day, but for many years I stayed home during the day and waitressed at Anaheim Stadium in the evenings. I suppose I could have made time to read, but between taking care of the house, the kids, the husband, play groups, school (for both the kids and I), and all the other obligations that come along with being a wife and mother, reading for pleasure was just not a priority.

As my kids got a little older, I took part-time jobs working during school hours so I could be home in the afternoons. Now, I had homework, sports practices, art lessons and a plethora of other obligations that took me away from reading. Don't get me wrong, for much of the last 10 years I have had more than enough time to squeeze in my weekly People Magazine, but I rarely made time to sit through an entire book. I take that back, I have read quite a few entire books if you count almost every book in the Magic Treehouse series, the entire Spiderwick Chronicles, the potty-humor of Captain Underpants , and my new favorite series, Percy Jackson. Over the last 10 years I've had the pleasure of revisiting Beverly Cleary, Judy Bloom, and have been introduced to other authors such as Mike Lupica, and J.K. Rowling. So, in perspecitve, I guess I have read quite a bit in recent years.

You know those "getting to know you" e-mails your friends often send to you? You know the ones, they're the ones I never respond to. The two questions I hate most on those questionnaires are "List the last (enter some random # here) books you've read" and "What is your favorite book?" It doesn't make one sound real intelligent when you can't remember the last book you read or when your favorite is Super Fudge.

You will all be happy to know that since I've been in Alaska, I have already read four books and am half-way through my fifth. Considering the fact that Eric is out of town on ocassion and I have an over-active imagination, I try to keep my reading selection pretty light. Although I enjoy a good murder mystery or suspense novel, those will have to wait until my imagination grows up. Heck, I can't even watch Dateline or read the missing persons article in People Magazine without being freaked out the next time Eric leaves town. Trust me, it's much better for all if I just stick to humor and other books I can relate to.

Please keep in mind that I've used a very methodical approach to picking out books...I simply read the book jacket and if it gives me a little chuckle and sounds remotely interesting, with no great mystery or homicide, then it's good enough for me. So, without further ado, here are the books I've read since the new year:

Shopaholic & Baby - Sophie Kinsella
there's a (slight)chance i might be going to hell - Laurie Notaro
Remember Me? - Sophie Kinsella
Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris
The Other Woman - Jane Green (I'm currently reading this one)

I think all of these books are very relatable, especially if you are or have ever been a wife or mother, regardless of your current age. They all have very different storylines and are all enjoyable in their own right.

I've decided that my new mantra is "who needs friends when you have a good book, a hot bath and a cup of tea"!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny. I used to love NYPD Blue but never watched it when my husband traveled. I even check my whole house when he is gone. It is silly but gives me a sense of safety. I at least finally sleep better now that we have a dog.

Laurie D.

Anonymous said...

Try the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. Very funny and a little action to boot.

Brian

Kelli said...

I love to read, but like eveything you mentioned, I just dont have time, so usually when we are on vacation I get a bit of time to read. I have enjoyed Nicholas Sparks this past year. Light easy ready, romance, clean, easy to put down (you might not want to) but if family demands you to, you can always pick it back up even if its been a week or more. I love his books. sometimes my mind cant take too much thinking so for now reading must be easy and for a few minutes of escape.