Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Warped Reality

Yesterday, the high temperature here was somewhere in the 30s. It was a sunny and beautiful "Spring" day by all accounts. I know it is going to be shocking for some of you to hear this from a California girl, but in Alaska, when we get into the 30s it's actually pretty mild out. I'm not going to kid you, it's not shorts weather, but I've made an effort to start shedding my winter skin.

When I chose my attire for the day, and upon seeing how beautiful it was outside yesterday, I decided to put on a pair of capris. I know, you don't have to tell me, it's 30 degrees outside and I choose to wear capris...cuckoo. In my defense, from inside my 66 degree home, it made perfect sense. For a brief moment I had such a lapse in judgement that I even contemplated wearing flip-flops. That thought was quickly fleeting when I saw snow on the ground. I made a more sensible choice and opted for a pair of Mary Janes instead.

Last night, the boys and I went to Troy and Cathy's for corned beef and cabbage. As I headed out the door in my capris, a sweater and Mary Janes I had to run back in to grab my slippers. It may be warming up around here, but I am still sane enough to keep in mind that when I take my shoes off upon entering their house, my bare feet would freeze on the tile floor. I don't care what anyone says, radiant heating doesn't make much of a difference when you're prancing around in bare feet.

As evening approached, the temperatures started dropping and just when I started to think that maybe I was off my rocker for sporting capris in mid-March, I was greeted by Troy and Cathy's friend Tracy, wearing...SHORTS! Shortly after our arrival, Troy disappeared upstairs for a few moments and came back down wearing...SHORTS! All the while, all four of our children were outside in full snow gear...SLEDDING! Troy and I looked at each other, kind of chuckled, and then as though he could read my mind, said, "well, it's so beautiful outside, as long as I'm in here with the heater on I might as well pretend it's just as warm outside."

To some it may seem like we have a pretty warped sense of reality. I prefer to look at it like we have some pretty top-notch coping skills. It's all o.k. though, because just as many of you laugh at me right now, I'll be laughing at you all come summer. Our days are already getting longer, and I've busted out the capris, so... nanny nanny!!!!!

No comments: