Monday, March 3, 2008

Cal Worthington and His Dog Spot

As you can all imagine, I sometimes find myself justifying life in Alasaka. I even blog about it and tell all of you it's not "back woods" here. Well, the one aspect of life here that isn't quite up to par with the lower 48 is television. Let me just say that digital cable has kept me sane!


It's not so much the programs that are ghetto, but rather the poor quality "local feed" and the commericals. Oh, the commercials!!!! At the risk of dating myself...while growing up in California a very frequently shown commercial was for Worthington Ford. Good ol' Cal Worthington and his dog spot. As a matter of fact, my brother may deny this, but one of my clearest memories from childhood is my brother and I running around my grandma's house singing right along with Cal's commercials "pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow...." You see, the commerical actually said "go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal...", but becasue Cal had a different "dog" Spot each commerical, which was often an exotic cat, our lyrics made perfect sense to us.


Prior to moving to Anchorage, it had been years since I had thought about Cal Worthington and his dog, Spot. One day recently, I was watching local television and low and behold, I was watching a commerical for Worthington Ford. In my mind, as a youngster, I always thought Cal looked about 80, he looks exactly the same NOW (only he probably really is 80 now), and his commercials are still unmistakenly "Worthington Ford". The main difference is that he's now in Anchorage, not CA, and he no longer has a "dog Spot" or the catchy jingle, but I still have the luxury of seeing good ol' Cal on t.v. a few times a week.


I know you'll find this hard to believe, but Worthington Ford commercials are not even my favorite commercials that air here. My true favorite is for a company called Mattress Ranch. My very favorite Mattress Ranch commercial is for Fur Rondy, but unfortunately, it's not online yet. Kaiden says, it's creepy, but I just think it's hilarious. Prepare to be entertained and to laugh your butt off at the fact that commericals of this caliber really do air on television in this day and age. Thanks to today's technology, I am able to present to you, my second favorite Mattress Ranch commerical (take note of the Sponge Bob tie):


5 comments:

grandma mayer said...

Well you made our day!!
We remember it also.
you really make us laugh! & they say it is better to laugh than cry.
So keep the news coming.

Anonymous said...

Oh, there's no denying it.

Brian

Kelli said...

We had Cal Worthington commercials here when I was growing up (in Wa State) also. hehe Keep warm

Anonymous said...

Steph, after seeing that commercial I'm pretty sure Mom and I won't be coming to Alaska any time soon. With quality technology like that I'd be headin' out of Alaska just as quick as possible. If I couldn't get a plane, train, car, or sled, I'd be prayin' "... feet don't fail me now!". I think you may be living in a time warp up there and those Cal Worthington commercials you're seeing are the signal transmissions from his 1970's commercials "BEFORE" he got "his dog Spot".

Christy said...

Oh what I would give to see a video of Brian singing "pussy cow"!