Thursday, March 20, 2008

I Am My Kids' Mom

I am such a dork! I am not generally anal retentive, but I have to admit, even I have my occasional moments. Whenever Eric has been out of town and is coming home, I like to have the house spic and span. I don't really know why, because it's not as though he actually gives a care. He almost never acknowledges that the house has been cleaned, but it's just one of my "things". I like the house to be clean when Eric walks through the door. He's on his way home as I type this, so needless to say, today was cleaning day.

Knowing I was in for a long haul, I decided my spring cleaning called for a little music. I turned the t.v. to one of those satellite music channels and bipped away most of the day. At around 2:00, the downstairs was just about complete and I had to run out to pick up our cat from the vet (she was being spayed). I grabbed my purse, put on my Uggs and, just as I was ready to walk out of the house, realized the darn t.v. was still on.

After a split-second analysis, I realized that the only way to get to the t.v. or the remote control, was to walk on the freshly vacuumed, cream colored rug. I quickly decided that I had a couple of options. I could leave the t.v. on until I returned, I could take off my boots and walk across the rug, I could leave my boots on and risk mucking up the rug along the way, or I could crawl across the floor on my hands and knees, grab the remote, turn off the t.v., crawl back to the tile on my hands and knees and go about my day. There was only one clear option as far as I was concerned. I opted to crawl across the floor on my hands and knees, turn off the t.v. and go on my merry way.

Don't get me wrong, I stand by my decision, but as I approached the sofa on my hands and knees, it did occur to me how ridiculous I probably looked. Let's be real, I had Uggs on for Pete's sake. I could have slipped them right off and right back on. I didn't care though, crawling saved me time, effort and a re-do on my vacuuming job.

My children would have been proud, after all, I witnessed Logan do the exact same thing earlier in the week. How else would I have come up with that idea? I know what you're thinking...if he jumped off a roof would you follow? ABSOLUTELY!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny.

My friend commented yesterday how we used to clean up every night when my 1st son was young. Now 3 kids later we barely even move the toys. They get pushed out of the walkway in case of a fire. More power to you for spring cleaning and making it nice for your husband.
Laurie D.

grandma mayer said...

Steph,
You are a riot !! That' using your head!! At least the rug is still clean.
We sure enjoy your blog.
Love to allig

Kelli said...

Good for you, I would have walked across it and had to revacuum