Friday, March 7, 2008

Now That's What I'm Talkin' About



As you know from following along with my blog, the weather for about the last month has been down right WACKY!!! I love "weather", so when we moved to Alaska, I enjoyed the snow that welcomed us. I could handle the short, dark days because at least it was snowing and there was appropriate weather to go with the gloom. I have absolutely hated the weather we've been having. It's winter for Pete's sake!!!! I don't want it to be in the 40s with gusty winds, sunshine, and melting sludge. I want it to be cold and I want the snow to be coming down until summer (well, at least well into Spring). The kids haven't had enough snow to go sledding for weeks now. I think it's about time that I have a heart to heart with Mother Nature!

Back in mid-February the boys were supposed to take snowboarding lessons at a local ski resort. They were going to go on a school holiday. I had paid $100 for each of the kids for a day of lessons from 9:30-3:30. The cost included instruction, lift ticket, lunch, and rentals. I thought it was a pretty good deal compared to what we would have paid in CA. Unfortunately, the darn winds kicked up that day and the resort was closed down for the day. I agreed to have the money transferred to a day during Spring Break when the boys could try again. Today was going to be the Big Day, but of course, we had winds AGAIN earlier in the week and it was not looking promising.

I opened the blinds this morning and to my pleasure and to the pleasure of two little boys, there was no wind and snow was actually falling! The boys were so excited that they were going to be able to go snowboarding, FINALLY! We took the short drive (about 4 miles) to the resort, I got the boys situated with their equipment, I met the instructor and they were off for the day. It was so interesting because the resort wasn't the slightest bit crowded, there were mainly school aged kids there, and a lot of the kids had just been dropped of for the day without any adult supervision. In California I would have never left my kids at the slopes for the day while I went home to clean house. Here, it was perfectly comfortable and acceptable to drop them for the day.

I picked the boys up at 3:30 and they were none-the-worse-for-wear. They had a blast and are begging to go again! Logan is pretty athletically inclined by nature and snowboarding was no exception. Kaiden did fine too, but it didn't come quite as easily for him. The funny thing is, in no time I'm sure I'll be telling you all that Kaiden is snowboarding circles around Logan. Kaiden will actually want to put the time and effort into perfecting the skill, while Logan will be happy to know that he tried and that he could do it and will be satisfied with that. I'm not saying that I have my kids pegged, but....I guess only time will tell, but for right now, they both had fun and that's all that really matters, right?

2 comments:

Christy said...

That looks like so much fun! And big congrats to Kaiden!

grandma mayer said...

WE figured the boys would enjoy the snow & all activities that go with it. They are both doing well as they hit the snowboards and other outdoor activites that Alaska offers....
You & Eric must really be proud of how motivated they really are.
I remember when you used to love the sking and when you went to Utah
Enjoy everything when you can. The boys also will have lots to remember if you ever leave there.