Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Summer Solstice

After doing a little research, I'm still not sure if the summer solstice was yesterday or today, but I do know that in Anchorage, they are celebrating today! Prior to moving to Anchorage, I had heard of the summer solstice, but didn't pay too much attention to what it was or what it meant to us. Let me tell you, it's not a huge deal even here, but it is a "to do" around town. Several shops in town have been advertising their summer solstice sales and will be open until midnight. Many of the bars are having bands and special events. The zoo will even be open 'til midnight with festivities for the whole family.

There is a "real" definition for summer solstice, but the big deal about it in Alaska is that it is the longest day of the year. In essence, it's all down hill from here! After today, we will gradually start losing daylight and our days will continually get shorter until the winter solstice in December, when we will have the shortest day of the year.

As you can imagine, from many of my blog posts over the past six months, Mother Nature is not cooperating on what is supposed to be one of the longest, sunniest, and most anticipated days of the year. In fact, I woke up this morning to the sound of rain outside. Considering that the weather is fairly cruddy today and that my parents are flying in late tonight, I'm not sure what, if anything, the boys and I will do to celebrate the longest day of the year. One thing is for sure, we won't be boiling to death like many of our friends and family in Southern California are. I certainly don't miss the triple digits!

1 comment:

grandma mayer said...

Enjoy your parents visit. I am sure you are all awaiting their arrival.
I must say i wish we could be able to visit. But thats a no go!!
A few days later and you will have the honor of seeing your brother and sister in law.
You Eric and the boys will have a busy summer entertaing all the folks from the heat..Today it is only 114 -Be glad your there...