Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Where The WIld Things Are

Yesterday was one of the nicest, if not the nicest days, we've had all Spring. Of course, I had to open up all of the blinds and all of the windows to take full advantage of the day. When we went to bed last night, Eric closed the blinds and didn't close our bedroom window. No big deal, until......2:00 this morning.

Was it a cat fight? Could it have been a lynx? An unhappy baby bear? I unfortunately don't have an answer to that question and, of course, my imagination is running wild. At about 2:00 in the morning, we heard an animal yowling out our bedroom window. It sounded like the start of a cat fight, but I've only seen one domestic cat roaming around the entire time we've been here and the yowl was so incredibly loud and primal. I obviously know we don't have lions or tigers in Alaska, but if I didn't know better I would have thought I had one in my backyard last night.

Reality tells me it was just that one random neighbor cat on the prowl in the middle of the night, but if somebody told me it was a lynx, I would not be shocked. I know people around here have seen them from time to time. My other thought is that maybe it was a mama bear and her babies passing through and it was the babies causing a raucous. Too bad I'll never know for sure.

I wasn't able to catch a glimpse of the "wild thing". Although it isn't really "dark" outside at 2 a.m., it was still pretty dusky and by municipality ordinance, our backyard is the forest (read: kinda' jungly and overgrown). I heard the yowling and did what any good Alaskan would do, I closed the window and went right back to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kelli said...

I have had a few friends go up to alaska lately and everyone is saying they had better weather in alaska than we have. Man it so cold and never ending raingy in Washington these days. We are calling it Junary

Kelli said...

you know you can turn off the anonymous commenters if you want