Monday, June 16, 2008

Three Strikes And I'm Out

Today was a nice leisurely Father's Day. We started the day without any plans, but soon formulated one. We decided to go hiking on a popular, local hiking trail. It was all downhill from there!

We were going to stop at Subway to grab some sandwiches to eat on our hike. I made the decision to stop at a Subway that is a little off the beaten path and we soon realized that it is closed on Sunday! STRIKE ONE! We went out of our way a bit, stopped at another Subway, grabbed some sandwiches and were finally on our way.

Before we left the house, I had done a little research to figure out where exactly we were going. As I read the directions, it dawned on me that I have seen signs for the trailhead before and I was confident that I knew where we were going without printing out the directions. Well, because of our little Subway detour, we came in from a different direction and I directed Eric to turn before we actually should have. We ended up at a totally different trailhead. STRIKE TWO!

We eventually arrived at our intended destination. As we pulled in, we noticed a sign that read: FEE. We parked the car and needed to figure how much this excursion was going to cost us. Just to park in the lot was going to cost us $5.00. $5.00 isn't that big of a deal if you have $5.00 on you. Eric only had $1.00 and I left my purse and wallet at home, so I had zero, zilch, nada! STRIKE THREE! Our options were to risk a $60 ticket, to turn around and get $5.00, or to go somewhere else. We left and decided to save that hike for another day.

When all was said and done, the day was not a total loss. After a brief stop at Play It Again Sports to purchase discs, we ended up at a downtown park for a round of disc golf (aka. frisbee golf). We all had a good time in spite of ourselves and we will definitely be playing again. Once you buy the discs, it's fairly inexpensive, it's decent exercise, and it got us outside.

After my three strikes, I needed some alone time in the form of a nap. Once we got back home, I slept and Eric bonded with the kids. It ended up being a fairly decent Father's Day... for me anyway.

No comments: