Friday, June 6, 2008

It's For You

As my children quickly become "tweens" (I think that's the new phrase for pre-teen), I knew it was inevitable. I knew that one day the phone would start ringing for them more than it would ring for the adults in the family. Considering the fact that I only have boys, I wasn't sure at what point this phenomenon would actually start occuring. I can tell you now, that the time has come!

I AM SO SORRY, MOM AND DAD!!!!!! At least in this day and age we have caller id and we can quickly tell before we even pick up the phone if the call is for us or the kids. I now understand that for my parents, it was a craps shoot everytime they picked up the phone. Until yesterday, my children rarely paid attention to the phone when it would ring. After my tirade yesterday, it is now their responsibility to look at the caller id and to decide if the incoming call is for Logan or for somebody else.

The up side to all of this is that at least we don't have girls calling the house yet!!! Logan is a video game junkie and apparantly his friends are too. Logan has one particular friend who will call to encourage him to login and play some online game (don't worry, I know what game they're playing and what they're doing. It's all on the up and up). They'll then hang up the phone. Once Logan starts playing the game, Dustin will call back several more times in a very short period of time in order to discuss the latest happenings in their online realm. Logan has another friend who calls. They will have a very brief conversation, they hang up the phone, and the minute Logan walks away from the handset the boy calls back. I don't get it!

Yesterday was the final straw for me! It was 11:00 in the morning, my boys were laying up in bed still, playing a video game and the phone rang. It wasn't for me. I answered it because I knew the boys wouldn't it. I proceeded to holler up the stairs for Logan. Being the prince that he is, Logan chose not to even acknowledge me. He has a way of tuning me out under the hospice of not hearing me, so I assumed he didn't hear me. I was wrong...as I walked up the stairs, hollering at him once more, it quickly became apparant that Logan has my "number". He knew that if he ignored me long enough I would bring the phone upstairs to him. Needless to say, that is the last time he'll play me for a fool (for a while anyway)!

After a long rant and rave, I made it quite clear that since the phone rings more for Logan these days than it does for anyone else, he is now in charge of looking at the caller id. If the call is for him, they need to answer it, if the caller is someone they don't recognize they need to holler for me or the answering machine needs to pick it up. Their slave is officially on strike!!! I guess the moral is: let me know if you need my cell phone number.

No comments: