Thursday, June 12, 2008

On The Cutting Edge

Last week I was literally "on the cutting edge." You see, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to cut into a bread roll with a sharp knife while using my hand as the cutting board. I know, I AM BRILLIANT!

To know me is to know that I don't do blood very well. The instant I cut into the meat of the inside of my left pinkie finger I knew I was going to need some kind of medical attention. I applied pressure to the cut instantly, but the minute I let up on it, the blood started oozing again. I was o.k. with the fact that I cut myself and I was even o.k. with the fact that I was bleeding, but I wasn't o.k. looking into the cut to determine how deep the knife had actually gone.

The boys happened to be on their way home from a baseball clinic and fortunately, our friend Cathy was bringing them home. She happens to be a nurse, lucky me! I called her cell to make sure she didn't just drop the boys and take off. I explained that I needed her to stop in to assess my wound and to offer a prognosis. Needless to say, after checking out my self-inflicted wound, she headed for home with my children in tow and I was headed to the urgent care.

When all was said and done, I ended up walking out of the urgent care with dermabond on my cut and a bill for $126.00 (and I only had to pay 20% of the entire bill, YIKES)! I could have used stitches, but because the cut was in such an awkward spot, the doctor decided to try the "glue" first. It was a success! The glue has already come off of the cut and I'm none the worse for wear. My pinkie will soon be as good as new.

Now for my Public Service Announcement:

After the doctor gladly took my money, he was happy to inform me that in the future, I can purchase dermabond at the pharmacy and can fix myself and my children up for considerably less money. He gave me a whole demo on how to stop the bleeding, clean the wound, and apply the glue. If, after the tourniquit is removed, the bleeding doesn't start again, you're good to go. If the bleeding continues, obviously stitches are the next option.

I'll send you a bill if you try it and it works.

No comments: